Sunday, August 24, 2008

Alex Pifer's The Seraph

My friend Kelly and I decided to blow off all important household duties yesterday, like mowing our lawns, etc, (which I should be doing RIGHT NOW, but instead I'm posting to my blog), and we drove out to Sturbridge, MA for a day of shopping and searching for the ever-elusive perfect gifts for Christmas.

Old Sturbridge Village is a living museum, built within the town of Sturbridge, MA, and is filled with period buildings from the late 1700's, to the mid-1800's. According to their website, Old Sturbridge Village is the largest outdoor history museum in the Northeast. I took Kathleen and two of her friends there a couple of years ago and they loved it. Everyone who works at the museum is dressed in period garb, and it's just like stepping back in time. If you're up for a drive, it's definitely worth the trip. Especially for 5th graders, because their school curriculum corresponds with the time period.

The acual town of Sturbridge, MA, is chock full of fun colonial inspired shops and eateries. Country Curtains is out there, and they even have a big blowout sale once a year. (At least, I think they are still doing that). We didn't go into there, but we did eat at The Publick House Historic Inn, and had a lovely late lunch. I grabbed some yummy sticky buns from their bakery to bring home as well--you must do the same when you visit Sturbridge!
The big treat that Kelly and I found in town was a wonderful shop called Alex Pifer's HOME, which is part and parcel of The Seraph, which used to feature colonial reproduction furniture only. Now, along with an entire building of gorgeous period-style colonial vignettes, there is another whole building filled on one side with European inspired furnishings, and the other filled with what Alex is calling Eco-Chic--and let me tell you--it was chic all right!! From the inspired chandeliers to the linen slipcovered sofas, to the gorgeous original accessories, this place was a treat for the eyes! Actually, it was a treat for the senses, because there was some great music playing, and the place smelled divine. Seriously, this shop made not only my day, but my MONTH. I love finding a jewel like The Seraph in a sea of the "same ol', same ol' " which seems to be so prevalent around here.
I would like to thank Alex for letting me take pictures of the shop, and for letting me drool all over everything. It was great to sit and chat with her and one of her employees, Laura, as well. We learned a lot, and hope to come back in October for another visit.


Please visit The Seraph's website, where you can see pictures of the colonial parts of the place as well. And if you're ever within a couple of hours of Sturbridge, MA, definitely stop by and tell her I sent you!!


The slideshow below is pictures that I took yesterday. I took so many, I couldn't post them all individually. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

YUM!!

I see lotsa things I would put my name on.
..the big honking Iron and wood chandy...French wine bottles...that wood coffee table (what WAS that?) The zebra chair...great lines.The carved deer head.....

sandra/tx said...

Oh, man. I wish I had lots and lots of money. I could seriously blow a chunk of it at that store. Wow!

dec0r8or said...

I know! Can you believe that place? You really have to see it in person to get the whole "feel" of it. The prices, from what I looked at, were quite reasonable. I even bought a trio of those little silver stone-look paperweights for $15. You can see them on one of the table vignettes in the slideshow. I have no idea what I'll do with them, but I'm sure I'll think of something! :)

KarenB said...

Thanks for coming by for a visit! Ohhh, I love Sturbridge. The Seraph sure doesn't look like it use to. I've often wondered if all those traditional New Englanders could stretch beyond their colonial decor. I have some reproduction wing back chairs that were perfect there, but not so great in SoCal. I also like your teen room selections, especially the dandelion wall decal. Very cool indeed.
Karen B.

us said...

Wow there was something I wanted in every single slide. Especially those wooden chandeliers. I've been drooling over similar ones for years - but they are all out of reach. Someday....
thanks for the beautiful pics!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...