Thursday, January 01, 2009

Handmade Christmas

Once again this year, we celebrated Christmas with my best friends Kelly and Jennifer at Jennifer's house. She always does such a great job decorating.

Remember the unfortunate rock candy project I was telling you about? There is the evidence, above, and in all honesty, once you throw those suckers on some mercury glass candle holders, they don't look half bad! Hee! Can you guess which one I made? ;)
...atop Jennifer's mantel
...alongside her stairway to the basement playroom
I just love these mica-glittered snowmen!

And speaking of "handmade Christmas," my friend Kelly made Jennifer and I some gorgeous candleabras. They are made from walnut from Jennifer's mother's farm.
Kelly took a woodworking class just to learn how to do some of this stuff!
She got the little tin cups for the candles in Sturbridge, MA. I haven't found a home for my candleabra yet. Any ideas?
This is MY handmade project for Kelly. It's a mini-replica of her house rendered in matt board and covered with mica glitter. She says that all she needs is a little glittery reindeer in the yard. I think she's right!
I also want to take it back and cover the shutters with silver glitter.
...and this is Jennifer's version. I've decided that I need to paint the green trim around her windows to make it look complete. I did the stone walls though! (on the sides)
Jennifer painted a gorgeous compass rose floor cloth for Kelly, which I did not get a picture of, and her husband made my upper kitchen cabinets for me out of my old vintage windows! My father had given me the windows about four years ago, and it was my plan to use them as doors for two upper cabs. Well, with the sly help of BF and Kathleen, she managed to sneak those windows out of my basement and make the cabinets. They are awesome, but you are going to have to wait for THOSE pics til after they are painted and hung. Boo ya!

8 comments:

Rose - Watching Waves said...

Beautiful table! Simple and perfect. What wonderful gifts to give one another; the time, work and thoughtfulness are all included in the gifts, making them even more special. Love the little houses you made; I've always wanted to make a few for Christmas decor, just like an uncle of mine did.

Blessings of the new year to you and yours, Sharon!

Anonymous said...

It's all just gorgeous, Sharon. I love it.

I would love to have a compass rose painted on our foyer floor, since Windrose, has a special meaning for us.

Happy New Year!

karlene said...

thank you for sharing such lovely pictures with us. What a good friend to make such a beautiful gift. Happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Love the mini versions of the houses! How very cool and what neat gifts!!

Looks like beautiful holidays for you!

Happy New Year!!

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Wow you guys are like little house on the prarie...only better! How cool to evel in all the homeadeness (word?sure.) Love your little homes (although they even look big!). The chandelier is beautiful...cannot WAIT to see the cabs!

Jean Martha said...

Wow!!! Those houses are so cute. That candelabra is incredible!!

Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

Beautiful! I really love the way you displayed the mercury glass candle holders.

Amber Cargile said...

I can't believe the level of artistry/craftsmanship on your "handmade" gifts! Fantastic! The houses are amazing...as is the candleabra. And I love the rocky candy topiaries! What a special Christmas exchange!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...