Monday, July 05, 2010

Is It Just Me?....

....or is the premise of the new show "Downfall" disturbing to anyone else out there? I haven't even seen it yet. I've only seen the previews, where thousands of dollars worth of perfectly good merchandise is being tossed off the edge of a 10-story building, if the contestant doesn't answer all of the questions in the right amount of time (or something like that). All I can think about when I see those previews, is all of the people around the country who are out of work, struggling to put food on the table, while Hollywood throws cars off of a roof for our "entertainment." What the heck is going on with this country? It's pathetic. That show is only a symptom of the whole "hell in a hand-basket" thing that's going on. And now, with Vienna and Jake broken up, I can't even IMAGINE what's going to happen next! :-P Ugh. I can't believe I even turn my television on any more.

I have been reading a lot, though, so that's a good thing. I just finished "Look Me In The Eye" by John Robison. He's a grown man who was diagnosed with Asperger's when he was in his 40's, and the book is a memoir of his life, through the enlightened eyes of his newly-diagnosed self. It's a great story, and a must-read if you have, or know anyone with Asperger's. His brother wrote "Running With Scissors" so that's next on my list. It's also a memoir, so it will be interesting to hear the other side of the family story through the eyes of the "normal" brother.

And now, for YOUR entertainment, I bring to you some photos from my San Diego trip. Please click to enlarge them....these little ones don't do the pics justice at all:


The Kiss statue, next to the Midway navy ship (boat? whatever.)
I took a TON of pictures of this, and doctored this one in Photoshop. What a sight to see, in real life. It was HUGE!
In the same park, was a collection of bronze soldiers all standing listening to this one of Bob Hope. It was beautiful:
The sailboats were incredible that night. I took this shot through my polarized sunglasses, and then played around a little in Photoshop:
...and another sailboat shot:
...and THIS one was taken by my lovely daughter. The subject is my niece Madeline, and I took some liberties with the photo in Lightroom...but not many. Kathleen has a great eye. She took a couple of other shots of Madeline that I'll try to post too. This was taken at Lake Taghkanic state park last week. We've been there twice in the last week and a half. We love it there!:
I have lots more to say, but I'm on to another book about a kid with Asperger's who is accused of murder. I don't know what got me on the Asperger's kick, but it's very interesting reading, and I feel like I'm learning too! Bonus!

post signature

4 comments:

Rose - Watching Waves said...

I've long had an interest in Aspberger's, too. It's such a broad spectrum; I think that many of us have some aspect of it, especially when my little OCD tendencies spring up. I've heard of both of those books and would be interested in reading them, too.

Such awesome photos of your San Diego trip. I'd love to see the un-manipulated photos, too. I love the artfulness in the photoshopped pics, but there's something I love about how the moment was actually captured, too, raw and real, even out of focus, as mine sometimes are.

I'm soooo with you about really pathetic "reality" shows. Haven't heard of "Downfall" but it seems not very kind to the planet nor entertaining. Pathetic, disgusting, lack of values - we learned integrity, kindness and caring for others from shows like Andy Griffith; where are those types of shows today? There was a time when all shows were family shows. I miss that.

dec0r8or said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

I kind of take a break from TV during the summer when my regular shows are in rerun mode. My guilty pleasures are The Real Housewives of NJ (none of the other RH shows, just NJ) and Drop Dead Diva, if I remember to catch it. Soon The Closer and Mad Men will be back and I am all over those two. But no reality shows except RH of NJ. The one you mention is wrong on SO many levels. While some lose everything else networks can literally throw such things away. Sickening.

dec0r8or said...

Oh, I'm a sucker for reality shows in general, but some of them, like Downfall, just rub me the wrong way. I won't even give that one a chance! I guess I watch "reality" shows because I'm interested in people. I'm a people-watcher, and it amazes me to what lengths people will go for fame, money, or just to be on TV. It's like a train wreck. I can't look away! But I do have my standards. I have to draw the line SOMEwhere, right? ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...