Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Cardinals


James Vanderpoel House

"The House of History" (1818) 16 Broad Street (US Route 9) in Village of Kinderhook, NY 12106 Tel: (518) 758-9265 Open: Thursday through Saturday 11 to 5 and Sunday 1 to 5 (Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day)
*Admission fee: Donation
* Run by the Columbia County Historical Society. Noted Albany restoration architect Doug Bucher calls it "the ultimate example of Federal architecture in this area."
********************************************************

I almost forgot the cardinals! Inside the lobby of the James Vanderpoel House in Kinderhook ther other night, were dozens of paper cardinals hanging from the second floor, turning in the breeze from the door as it opened and closed with new visitors, and the sounds of a live string quartet filled the home.

The moldings in this house are incredible. I didn't have my camera on me for the tour, but I did manage to get the cardinals picture with my phone...hence the substandard quality. However, if you could have seen how beautiful they all looked, flying there. There was also a whole tree covered in red cardinals in the corner of the room.

This house could really use a facelift. As lovely as it is, it looks like the historical society has all it can do to keep the place from falling down from one year to the next. It would be great if they could have some big fundraiser to help keep the place up. A dollar here and there obviously isn't cutting it. It would be a shame to see it deteriorate more. They are obviously doing the best they can with what they have.

6 comments:

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hey, Sharon, thanks for stopping by & leaving me a message! I appreciate it...your blog is looking great. I'll have to check back more often & see what you are up to.

Merry Christmas!
Rhoda

kari and kijsa said...

Love the cardinals- what a neat way to showcase them! Bet the tree was fabulous!

blessings,
kari & kijsa

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Hi, thanks so much for sharing this lovely home with us, and the cardinals! Love that. I hope this house finds a "lover" of old homes who can pay to have it redone.
xo Lidy

Amber Cargile said...

What a gorgeous home...and a treat to visit. Love the concept of the paper cardinals. Very Asian in their simplicity and so fitting for the season. You just reminded me that my grandmother's favorite bird is the cardinal. I need to send her something cardinal-related this holiday season! We even get them here in the desert, from time to time, believe it or not. Anyway, I hear you about preserving those grand old homes. I worked as a college intern in a restored mansion-turned-county museum. Those historical societies often run on shoestring budget, but they do yeoman's work. Kudos to them!

suzette said...

There are so many lovely homes in your area Sharon, and they sure don't make 'em like that anymore.

PAT said...

I would love to visit this home!

I also enjoyed the candlelight tour. There is an Old Kinderhook at Lake of the Ozarks...not quite the same though!!

Pat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...